According to Bible Dictionary (New International) the notions of ‘name’ had a significance it does not have today when it is usually an unmeaning personal label. A name was given only by a person in a position of authority.
In the book of Gen 2:19 Adam as an authority therefore was allowed by God to name the beast of the field and every bird of the air brought to him. “AND THE LORD GOD SAID “IT IS NOT GOOD THAT MAN SHOULD BE ALONE; I WILL MAKE HIM A HELPER COMPARABLE TO HIM. OUT OF THE GROUND THE LORD GOD FORMED EVERY BEAST OF THE FIELD AND EVERY BIRD OF THE AIR AND BROUGHT THEM TO ADAM TO SEE WHAT HE WOULD CALL THEM AND WHATEVER ADAM CALLED EACH LIVING CREATURE THAT WAS ITS NAME. By God allowing Adam to give names God enabled him to express a relationship to the other creatures/person.
The name given was determined by an event or circumstance at the time of birth. In the scripture there is the closest possible relationship between a person and his name. When a person gave his own name to another it signified the joining of the two in very close unity as when God gave His name to Israel. Deut 28: 9 – 10.
Names have an interesting phenomenon. Names can either cause a blessing, misfortunes or pain. Names can have a profound impact on a person, some people have three names or more e.g the first name, the middle name, the maiden name and/or the last name. While others have been inherited from friends, important personality, or ancestors.
Every name has a meaning and can co-relate with an event, an object, occurrences, a personality or experience. Our given name is our very fast social tag. Each name is associated with character, behavior and a look. Our names are what we answer to. There is a meaning to a name, there is identity, history and significance in a name. However, there is a name above all names Phil 2: 9 –
BLESSINGS IN A NAME:
THEREFORE, GOD HAS ALSO HIGHLY EXALTED HIM AND GIVEN HIM THE NAME WHICH IS ABOVE EVERY NAME; THAT AT THE NAME OF JESUS EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW OF THOSE IN HEAVEN AND OF THOSE OF EARTH AND OF THOSE UNDER THE EARTH. AND THAT EVERY TONGUE SHOULD CONFESS THAT JESUS CHRIST IS LORD TO THE GLORY OF THE FATHER.
The name Jesus means savior and companion He will save his people from their sins. Emmanuel – God with us – Mathew 1: 21 – 11 AND SHE WILL BRING FORTH A SON AND YOU SHALL CALL HIS NAME JESUS FOR HE WILL SAVE HIS PEOPLE FROM THEIR SINS. SO ALL THIS WAS DONE THAT IT MIGHT BE FULFILLED WHICH WAS SPOKEN BY THE LORD THROUGH THE PROPHET SAYING “BEHOLD THE VIRGIN SHALL BE WITH CHILD, AND BEAR A SON AND THEY SHALL CALL HIS NAME IMMANUEL WHICH TRANSLATED, GOD WITH US.”
THE POWER AND AUTHORITY IN A NAME
Name(s) represents power, authority, identity, status and destiny. Jesus confidently said in the great commission that all power and authority belongs to me. Power is the ability to order or accomplish a goal or to influence. Authority means the right, justification and legitimacy.
- It is the name of Jesus that is highly exalted – Phil 2: 9 – 11
- It is in the name of Jesus we find freedom – 2 Corr 3: 17 Now the Lord is
- Spirit and where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty.
- It is in the name of Jesus that we are released from oppression of the enemy –
- ISAIH 10: 27 “IT SHALL COME TO PASS IN THAT DAY THAT HIS BURDEN WILL BE TAKEN AWAY FROM YOUR SHOULDER. AND HIS YOKE FROM YOUR NECK. AND THE YOKE WILL BE DESTROYED BECAUSE OF THE ANOINTING OIL.
- Christ means “the anointed one” in Hebrew and in Greek it means the Messiah
- Christ in Greek means “the anointed one or the chosen one the Messiah”. Ps 55: 22 Cast your burden on the Lord and he shall sustain you. He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.
NAMES AND MEANING:
- Mephibosheth: In Hebrew means from the mouth of shame. He was the son of Jonathan. When the nanny made haste to flee, he fell and became lame, but King David restored him – 2 Sam 4.
- Adam means Ground
- Isaac means Laughter.
- Peter means Rock – Matt 16: 18
- Jabez: labelled with sorrow at birth. 1 Chronicle 4: 9 – 10.
Do you need to change your name?
- Listen to your heart.
- There are instances where God changed names of people: Abram to Abraham to enter their destiny. Abram meant the exalted one, but Abraham meant Father of nations.
- Saul to Paul: Saul means asked for, prayed for and Paul meant small or humble in Latin.
- Jabez did not change his name but prayed to change the circumstances related to his name.
What to do when you realize that your name could be the cause of your trouble:
- Acknowledge it.
- Be open about it.
- Humble yourself before the Lord.
- Make your petition.
Jabez prayed a specific prayer:
- Bless me indeed.
- Enlarge my territory.
- Your hand be with me.
- Keep me from evil.
- That I may not cause pain.
- God granted him what he requested.
YOU TOO CAN MAKE A HUMBLE AND SPECIFIC PRAYER TO GOD. WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE. GOD GRANTED JABEZ HIS HUMBLE REQUEST, HE CAN ALSO DO IT FOR YOU. HE IS THE SAME YESTERDAY, TODAY AND FOREVER.